(Updated 7/29/19) If you’ve decided you want to catch up on – or rewatch – every Marvel movie, now is a good time to start. Marvel’s “Phase 3” is complete and now we have a long wait until May 2020 for Phase 4 to begin.
This post will tell you the correct order to watch all the Marvel movies through 2019, and what to expect from Marvel’s Phase 4.
Note: In my post on the best order to watch the Netflix Marvel shows, I suggest that you can skip Iron Fist and still follow along the other shows just fine. I’ve gotten some flack for that opinion, but I stand by it.
In the list below, I note a couple movies that I think are skip-able. This is my opinion based on how integral these stories are to the overall Marvel Universe.
Best Order to Watch the Marvel Movies
My order below is not exactly how the movies were released chronologically. It’s my own recommendation of watch order to maximize your understanding of the Avengers story.
- Captain America: The First Avenger (Introduces the concept of superheroes and takes place decades before any other movie. Watch it first.)
- Captain Marvel (Just came out in 2019, but takes place early in the Marvel timeline.)
- Iron Man
- Iron Man 2
- The Incredible Hulk (Could skip this one. Weakest of all Marvel movies.)
- The Avengers
- Iron Man 3
- Thor: The Dark World
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Doctor Strange
- Captain America: Civil War
- Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Thor: Ragnarok
- Black Panther
- Avengers: Infinity War
- Ant-Man and the Wasp (Probably the 2nd weakest of the Marvel movies, but there is a bit of info here you need to understand before Endgame. You could just read a recap and save time, though.)
- Avengers: Endgame
- Spider-Man: Far From Home
2019 Marvel Movie Release Dates
Avengers: Endgame: April 26, 2019. It’s finally out and everyone mostly loves it. Read my full Endgame review here or watch my spoiler-free review:
Spider-Man: Far From Home: July 2, 2019. This movie is a nice wrap-up of Phase 3. I really liked this movie, but was hoping it would have more hints to lead into Phase 4. When you watch, be sure to stay to the very end for an important (and shocking) end credits scene!
And now we wait… The next Marvel movie to be released will be Black Widow on May 1, 2020. That’s a long wait for any new Marvel content!
Moving forward, there are nine Marvel Studios release dates reserved between May 1, 2020 and July 29, 2022.
Disney’s new streaming service, Disney+, also has several Marvel superhero TV series in the works. Read on for more information on Disney’s Marvel TV shows.