I love connecting with other travel bloggers and learning from them. Today I’m participating in a “blog hop” where seven travel bloggers are sharing their best family travel tips and offering you a chance to win a family travel prize package.
So what have I learned about traveling with my family? My kids are now 10 and 16, so I’ve got plenty of insight on successful vacationing with teens and tweens.
1. Be flexble and build in down time. This is probably the most common advice you’ll find traveling moms handing out, but it bears repeating. DO NOT overschedule your family. Give yourself space in your itinerary to linger if something really excites your kids, or to bail out if it’s just not working.
2. It’s OK to split up. I used to be really hung up on family travel bonding. (“We WILL have fun TOGETHER!”) Then I realized that my kids are two very different people and the whole family is much happier if we split up for certain activities. Why force my teenage son to sit through an art workshop with his sister when he’d really rather be at the arcade? A little separation between siblings – and even between kids and parents – eases tension and gives each child a little one-on-one time that makes him or her feel special.
3. If you travel off-season, check ahead that the attractions you are interested in are open. Since we homeschool, we often travel in the off-season, and we’ve been disappointed on several occasions when restaurants were closed or attractions were under construction/renovation.
4. When possible, bring friends along. Riding on the coattails of tip #2, having your kids’ friends or even your extended family along breaks up any family tension. This has been the single, most effective way to guarantee success in my family’s travels. My kids behave better, argue less, and enjoy making lasting memories with their friends.
5. Take care of yourself. Yes, the old, “put on your own oxygen mask first” advice. It’s essential that you are fed, rested, and comfortable in order to deal with whatever the kids may throw your way during your travels.
Want more tips? Check out the Blog Hop and enter to win a family travel prize package!
The family travel prize package includes a Kindle Fire HD Kids Edition tablet, Knomo Saxby 15” messenger bag, and a $25 Amazon gift card. The Kindle Fire HD Kids Edition tablet ($150 retail value) is a Kindle Fire HD 6 or 7 tablet, with one year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited and access to 5,000 books, movies, TV shows, educational apps and games, as well as a durable kid-proof case. The Kindle will fit easily in the Knomo Saxby 15” messenger bag in Army, which accommodates up to a 15” laptop with plenty of room to spare. Made from highly durable waxed coated canvas, Saxby is water resistant and offers elastic and zipped compartments for all your belongings ($199 retail value.)
To enter, add your contact information in the Rafflecopter widget below and leave a comment on this post with your best family travel tip. You can earn additional entries by commenting on the other posts in the blog hop (see links below), or by following these bloggers on Pinterest.
- You must leave at least one comment on one of the participating blogs to enter. Additional entries via commenting on other blogs in the hop are available to you.
- You will receive additional entries by “following” the other bloggers in the hop on Pinterest.
- This gives you a possible 14 entries (there are 7 participating bloggers, with two ways to enter each).
- PRIZES ARE ONLY ELIGIBLE TO SHIP IN THE CONTINENTAL U.S.
- The giveaway runs through May 11, 2015 11:59 p.m. EDT.
- Winners will be notified via email.